Encounter.

It was monday. The worst day of the week.

I sat slumped in my chair, wishing I were somewhere else, anywhere but in this lecture theatre. The chairs were uncomfortable, it was too hot and I was tired and hungry. I kept thinking back to friday, when I walked Millie in the woods and came across... Well, I'm not totally sure what it was. Everytime I close my eyes I envision that beautiful body, those mesmerising eyes. And ever since that fateful day I can't stop thinking about him. I can't stop dreaming about him. Every morning I wake up and those bright eyes are still fresh in my mind.

After surviving class, I head to the library, desparately trying to avoid my fellow students, wanting some peace and quiet. I dived into a seat at a table in the far corner of the library, out of sight and logged onto a laptop, pulling up my unfinished anatomy and physiology assignment. I sighed and slumped in my chair, contemplating how to go about continuing the essay. I pulled a full fat coke can out of my brown leather satchel, popped open the metal cap and slid out of my seat, making my way across the library to the stacks. My thoughts kept going backwards and forwards from my intriging sight on friday, to the mountains of work that I have to do... somehow. I sighed, closed my eyes tight and took a long swig of my coke, not looking where I was going and unfortunately knocked into what felt like a brick wall. But actually I'd bumped clumsily into someone, splashing coke all down my new grey sweater.

Great.

"Ahhh! Crap. I am SO sorry. I--." The guy I'd bumped into turned round to face me and I held my breath, my stomch in knots. 'How could this be possible?' I thought. 'No. It CAN'T be... Can it?' I looked deep into his eyes and I could not possibly mistake those ethereal, olive green, slanted eyes. It was him. The guy I saw in the woods on friday! That perfectly strong, magestic body could not be mistaken.

"No, it was my fault! Are you okay?" His voice sounded like a sweet melody that soothed my ears and calmed me completely. He spoke with a subtle foreign accent and as he spoke his eyes bore into me as if he were peering deep into my soul.

He smiled, displaying a set of perfectly white teeth. I nodded in reply to his question, hoping he had not recognised me and walked around him aiming to reach the stacks before he had the chance to remember my face, but he continued: "Actually, I was hoping you could help me. I'm a new student so I'm still trying to find my way around. Can you tell me where the learning development center is please?"

I bit my lip. Perfect. I couldn't simply explain where the learning development center was, I had to actually lead him there.

I shrugged. "Sure", I mumbled, as I led him past the librarians desk to the other side of the library. "It's just around that corner." I pointed. "Keep going straight, go through the double doors and you're there."

"I see, thank you for your help." He turned to me and smiled again, my heart melting. I couldn't pull myself away from his eyes, they were simply enchanting. He was so obviously different that he stood out a mile. In my peripheral vision, I made out others in the library, other students and even some staff members, who were peering over from behind their books to get a look at the mysterious new exchange student. But I tried to remain nonchalant. My life motto is that all guys are the same. If they look good, they usually know it.

"You're welcome." I turned on my heels quickly, desparate to run to the stacks and hide but he caught me off guard once again and called out to me.

"Wait, I'm sorry, I must ask you one more question." I froze. Somehow, I knew exactly what he was going to ask. Perhaps it was the way in which he spoke, the language he used... It seemed so otherworldly, so alien, not at all modern. But the way in which he spoke also alarmed me.

"Yes?" I turned to face him confidently yet quizzically, outwardly trying to keep calm, although my heart was pounding frantically in my chest. This guy really made me nervous which was a first. I'd never had a boyfriend before and I normally regard boys as just mates but this particular guy was different. And I was sure of it. But, why is he here? I mean, is he following me to university to... kill me because I know his secret?  At this thought, my stomach churned but I put the thought aside. No. I clenched my fists. No. There must be another reason. Perhaps he is trying to silence me in some other way? Maybe I should just go down on my hands and knees and beg for mercy right here, right now! I mean, there is no denying that he isn't human! That friday I saw eagle-like wings protruding from his back! He must have superhuman / supernatural strength or powers or something. He could probably kill me right here if he wanted to. No, that's right. If he had intentions to kill me he would have done so that friday night when I ran away. He doesn't want to kill me at all. But, then, what does he want?

"I have this strange feeling that I've seen you before..." He stepped closer.

"Oh-- I'm sorry but I don't recognise you." I lied, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Your eyes... They are very familiar." He stepped closer still until we were a mere thirty centimeters apart. He looked deep into my eyes and I felt as though I were naked, as though he could see the whole me, all my thoughts, feelings and experiences with one glance. He cupped my chin in his hands, his eyes bore into mine and I suddenly felt this immense power develop from within me. I suddenly felt light and in those few seconds, the world was brighter. It was as if it were only him and I in the room and no-one else, just the allurement of his eyes was all that held my attention. I couldn't hear anything but the sound of my heart pounding in my chest. And then the elation faded. And I came back down to Earth.

I pushed him away lightly.

"I--I must go," I said as I made my way swiftly to the stacks.

                                                            *               *              *              *

The following thursday I woke up with a massive migraine, took an aspirin and jumped on the number thirteen, getting off outside McDonalds. I walked briskly along Haven Marina whilst enjoying the serenity of the scene; the yachts in the harbour, people already sipping beer outside of Issacs, the morning sun glistening like a thousand diamonds off the surface of the water. I ran through the university entrance and into lecture theatre one where a hundred pair of eyes glanced my way. I went beetroot red and slid into a seat next to Ally in the first row who smirked at me and kissed her teeth. I rolled my eyes sarcastically and pulled out my A5 notepad, although I wasn't ready to write pages of notes and resolved to catch up on an hours sleep. But as I glanced around the room, a sight caught my eye.


The next row along saw him. The mysterious guy I saw on friday and monday. I gasped loud enough for Ally to hear but quiet enough for no-one else to. She looked at me quizzically and I shook my head, telling her not to worry about it.  But she followed my line of vision anyway. She realised who I was looking at and raised a cheeky eyebrow. I nudged her and she attempted but failed to stifle a laugh.

How is it possible that he is in the same lecture as me? How could he possibly be on the same course? Is he really following me? Does he have some kind of alternate agenda?

When the lecture was adjourned for coffee break she turned to me.

"You like him don't you?" She smirked.

"What?" I scoffed, trying not to make it obvious.

"Well, get in line, honey. So does every other girl here." She kissed her teeth, then continued. "His name is Malachi, no-one knows much about him but apparently he's a greek exchange student here for just a year on a scholarship. And apparently, he's single." She nudged me and I clicked my tongue.

We both stood up, ready to head to the university cafe, Theta, to buy our regular hot chocolate and triple chocolate cookie. I glanced over to Malachi who was, at this point, surrounded by a crowd of other female students. I sighed inwardly. 'Why am I not surprised...' I thought.

"He's certainly popular..." Ally rolled her eyes. I know what she was thinking. 'Not another one. Not another guy who looks good and knows it.' But for some strange reason, I held back my judgement of him. There was something not quite 'normal' about him...

Ally and I walked past the crowd to exit the room. And at the moment we did so, a hand grabbed me by the arm and pulled me back.

It was Malachi.

I gasped as I stared into his beautiful eyes.

"Good morning." Everyone was watching us. Optical daggers were being thrown from the other girls who stood disapprovingly, questioningly. And I could guess what they were thining too. 'Why
is he talking to her?' Good question. I wanted to know the answer too. He continued: "I must apologise for what happened the other day in the library. I did not mean to frighten you." And by now I could practically feel the hatred from the other girls. Why did he have to bring it up now? In front of everyone?

"Uhh... It's no big deal." I shrugged.

"Very well, let's start afresh. I am Malachi." He shot me a radiant smile that melted my heart. I swooned inwardly.

"Uhh... Hannah." We shook hands. He still held a warm smile but I did not return it, and I wouldn't without knowing his real intentions. I knew his secret and that is probably why he wanted to get close to me, probably to keep me quiet somehow. "I have to go." I went to walk away but he grabbed my arm. He pulled me close to him in such as way that, to onlookers, it would appear that we were merely embracing but, cheek-to-cheek, he whispered lightly in my ear: "Meet me outside the library at the end of the day. There's something we must discuss." My heart almost stopped. My mind was racing with random thoughts being flung in wild directions. 'Will he bring up the incident in the woods? Will he tell me the truth? Or will he try to silence me?'


I maintained my nonchalence, excused myself and walked towards the exit as swiftly as possible. I didn't like being the center of attention anyway but I couldn't stand the malicious whispering and catty remarks, let alone the dagger-like stares I had thrown my way. Ally followed me like a puppy and when she reached my side she punched me on the arm. I winced and rubbed the spot melodramatically. We joined the unsurprisingly long queue in Theta.

"What the hell was that?" She snarled. I gave her a blank look. "He obviously likes you... And you blew it!"

"Whatever, Al. He's just a guy." I mumbled back.


"Uhh-- Yeah. A very hot guy, at that. Han, All the girls want him."


"We don't have time for guys, Al."


"There's always time for guys."


"Whatever." I dug deep into my satchel for some spare change. "I just have my priorities set on uni for now." Ally nodded, considering my reasoning for a moment.


"Ok, but that's what uni is all about. Guys. You should loosen up a little. Try to be... like a normal nineteen-year-old." We exchanged looks, knowing very well where this conversation was going. I shook my head, about to say something but she held up her hand and cut in. "Han, just hear me out. I know you have all these... ideals... about relationships and stuff but... Just have some fun. Relax and stop being so serious about..." she leaned closer and whispered: "sex."

I sighed. "Ally, we've been friends for a long time and when I first met you I told you my values and beliefs. I'm saving myself for marriage, I've told you this--"


"Pfft. Whatever. But you're missing out on all the fun. I mean, won't you get bored with just one partner your whole life? I just couldn't do that. Plus, marriage is just a piece of paper. A legal document to say you 'love each other'. You don't have to marry someone and put a ring on their finger just to show that you love them."


I sighed to myself. Ally has been my best friend for years. We've done everything together since pre-school. We're like twins, finishing each others sentences, knowing exactly what the other will say or how the other will feel. We even followed each other to uni. But the one thing that still sets us apart after all these years are our values and beliefs. Our morals. Before they died, my parents brought me up to live in a morally upright way and at their funeral I vowed to stick to those prinicples no matter what. I'm not sure why, but Ally still doesn't get it. She doesn't get why I won't get drunk with her on a saturday night. She doesn't get that I haven't had a boyfriend before or that I don't want a drag off of her cigarette.

"Well, fine but I'm not changing."

She tutted and moved forward as the queue started to move. "Ok, but Han you gotta admit, it's not normal. It's kinda weird." 
                                                                                              
                                                            *              *              *              *

I stood outside the library doors at three thirty, my stomach in knots, not exactly knowing what to expect. My heart was fluttering in my chest and my legs told me to run away but I continued to stand there waiting, this desire burning in my chest. I wondered what it was that Malachi so desparately wanted to talk about but I had a pretty darn good idea.

Suddenly, a white Audi TT appeared in front of me. Malachi was in the front seat.

"Get in," He said and I did.

Friday 6 July 2012 at 13:22